Wednesday, November 17, 2010

poems on suffering

Here are some excerpts from a poem that John Piper wrote in relation to Job's story and suffering.

-Come learn the lesson of the rod.
The treasure that we have in God.
He is not poor nor much enticed.
Who loses everything but Christ.

-Unkindly has He kindly showed me God.

-We must bless the Lord for all that's good and bad.

-The Lord has made me drink the cup of his severity
that he may kindly show to me
what I would be when only he remains in my calamity.

God speaking to Job:

-Can you draw down and then disrobe Leviathan,
the kings of all the sons of pride,
and in his fall strip off his camouflage of strength,
and make him over all the length of earth and heav'n,
to serve the plan of humble righteousness?
I can. I make the Leviathan my rod.
Beloved Job, Behold your God.

1 comment: