Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Body of Christ

This week for Sunday school I am teaching about the importance of the "Body the Christ" or the Church. Often times we take advantage of it or we, like the Corinthians, discount its members. (1 Cor. 12:21-25)

As I was preparing today I was thinking that if my physical body was sick ie., I had the flu, cut my hand, or had a headache, I would care for it. I would find all of the materials needed to make myself better and I would take action right away; my action would be top priority.

I then started thinking about how easy it is to find/identify sickness in the body of Christ. I mean, its everywhere. The body of Christ is made up of people who are sinful and broken. We, as the "Body", suffer when one member suffers. No matter what ministry we find this sickness in, ours or another, what is our response to it?

I was deeply convicted today thinking about this. Most of the time I want to run far far away from the sick member. We think, "Ministry isn't supposed to be this hard, is it?" or "I'm not supposed to be this inconvenienced, am I?"

How prideful we are! We spend hours and hours throughout the day making sure our own bodies are fed, exercised, and groomed, but when it comes to the Body of Christ, we are lackadaisical. We are ready to quit serving because of people and differences.

Jesus give us grace to see where we are running away from people instead of embracing and caring for them. Humble us to see where your Church is hurting. Give us strength Lord to love Your Church. Help us to give of ourselves for her, just as you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment