Monday, August 24, 2009

Silence


As I sit here the noises of life surround me in my search for silence; cars passing by, children playing in the hall, the quiet hum of the air conditioner, and even the typing of the keyboard keys as I type. These noises are only external, a distraction for just a short while. Mostly these can be tuned out, but the noises in my mind reminding me of dirty dishes in the sink, conversations with friends from the night before, thoughts of dinner and sleep, of these I cannot escape. I am consumed by doing. I can blame this on our culture and how it has formed me to believe that the more I do, the more significant I am. But the reality is that in TRUE and ABSOLUTE silence, I am faced with me, with my doubts, with my failures, and with many questions. Yet the Lord calls me and says,




"Be STILL and know that I am God."


This is such a simple reminder, but when I know that HE is God, then somehow, my failures and shortcomings seem to disappear. He is above all things. My focus is shifted, and my perspective changed. There is hope in knowing that He is God; my life and I have meaning, the knowledge that I was created for a purpose becomes tangible, and the rhythm of my life changes. The reality that success is not in my hands but God's rings true and the healing that I need begins to take place there in the silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment