Thursday, February 10, 2011

Justice II

There is so much injustice in the world. The more I look around, the more overwhelmed in seeing all of the areas where injustice occurs. I've noticed that it doesn't matter what culture or what age group or type of government a country has, where people are, there is injustice. How daunting.

I've been seeing this reoccurring theme in my heart and other blogs to right the wrong in the world. There is something in our generation that sees the hurting and brokenness and wants to take action. We really do want hunger to stop, people to love the earth, kids to be adopted, and ultimately we want world peace. We spend money to go to poor places in the world to be a part of the change that is happening there. We want our lives to mean something. And most times we think our lives have value if we do good. This is in Christians and non-Christians alike. Our generation is striving to do more.

Its so good.

I go back and forth as to whether humanitarian aid for the sake of doing good, is a truly good thing. If these various humanitarian efforts give people cloths, shelter, water, and medical care but have no Jesus, are their efforts in vain? Are they just putting a small band-aid on a would that needs full on surgery? Does it help anything? I still don't know what I think about all of this. I want to say that it is still a good thing. People helping people is great. So, I guess I'll leave it there for now.

What does doing justice/kingdom work look like for me? Well, I've been throwing around a few different ideas. 1, inviting single marines over once a week to give them a free meal and a home to hang out in...maybe some games and a good time. 2, taking most every Saturday and joining with an already established group to feed homeless. (This church has about 200 homeless Japanese people in it...amazing!) 3, trying to help out more somehow with the military wives and kids.

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment