Sunday, November 22, 2009

New and Wonderful Things


I was just thinking about how Joel and I are now over our heads into the youth group at our church. Joel is teaching the Sr. High boys and I the Sr. High girls. I am also helping with the youth worship band. I am so excited that the Lord has asked us to serve this specific people, a people who is usually looked down upon because of their age and stature in the world. What are "youth" anyway? Why do they matter? I think they matter because, as cliche as it sounds, they are the next leaders, teachers, pastors, rock stars, etc. in our world. Also, they matter because they are God's children.

Its been a few weeks now since we went to the youth retreat, which was on a beach...AMAZING. But anyway, we really had the opportunity to get to know these kids and for them to get to know us. Since then more of the kids are opening up to us and sharing their lives with us. Its such an astounding thing! Yet at the same time our hearts break because they are just kids and they are going through some rough times: lose of hearing, boy trouble, family separation, figuring out who they are going to be, and the list goes on. They are looking to Joel and I as mentors through these times. They are looking to us to lead them to Jesus and to lead them to truth. What a heavy weight! I rejoice that the weight and the burden is the Lord's first and he chose Joel and I to share in it, and to tend to His precious lambs. My prayer is that He gives us the grace to walk steadfast with our eyes focused on Him first and foremost, and that He gives us the grace to be good stewards of the hearts that He's entrusted to our care.

No comments:

Post a Comment